Ingredients for Ugali
- 2 cups maize flour/corn meal.
- 2 cups boiling water.
- pinch of sugar.
- Drop of cooking oil of your choice.
- In a sauce pan bring 2 cups of water to boil, add a pinch of sugar and a drop of cooking oil.
- Using a small jug take out a 1 1/3 of boiling water, on a low heat slowly add the maize flour into the sauce pan stir/mashing it continuously with a wooden spoon, or a mwiko to avoid lumps from forming, gradually add boiling water that you had taken out.
- Then a small bit of flour and mix it in well until it starts to thicken like dough, continue to do this 5 minutes, on a low heat, cover and let it cook for 5-8 minutes without touching it. After couple of minutes or so you should smell a difference when the Ugali is cooked.
- Mold it nicely with a wooden spoon/mwiko while still in the pan like a pyramid, it doesn’t have to be perfect.
- Set a side covered until ready to eat.
Ingredients for Spinach and mackerel
- Fresh mackerel
- Frozen spinach or fresh if available
- Palm oil ( optional) Any oil of your choice
- Fresh tomatoes
- Chillies ( optional)
- Maggie cube/Stock
- Start by cleaning the fish or you can ask your fishmonger to do that for you.
- Pat dry with a kitchen towel to remove excess water, cut the fish into bigger pieces.
- Turn on the deep fat fryer to 190 c until very hot, transfer the Mackerel into the fryer for 4-5 Minutes until crispy golden brown,you can transfer into a plate on a paper towel until ready to cook.
- Start by warming up your pan to a medium heat, with a dash of palm oil. Add onions cook until translucent 2-3 minutes.
- Add tomatoes,chillies, Maggie cube/stock and pinch of salt and cover till the tomatoes are soft 5 minutes or so, uncover the pan give a stir to the tomatoes and everything together untill well coated, add in the fried Mackl mix it well the other ingredient.
- Next simply add chopped spinach mix all together gently not to break the Mackerel, until all is well mix, put the lid on for 5-10 minutes or till well cooked and the flavours have all been well mixed in.
- Remove the pan from the gas cooker and set aside for few minutes before serving with Ugali. Enjoy